Monday, December 25, 2006

...And to all a good night.

I went for a run today. Dani got me a new rain jacket for when I ride my bike and I thought I would take for a test.

Not a lot of people out today. It was just me and the homeless guys. That may have to do with the fact that it's Christmas day downtown in Houston. And that fact that it's about 40 degrees, with gale force winds. Not a great day to run but it's a great way to explore the new city. With in a block we have a beer pub, Sub shop, Latin, 2 Italians, a place called fresh express, an Indian place, Chipotle, 2 clubs (maybe 3 we aren't quite sure), and 2 connivance stores. At 4 blocks you add a movie theatre, a CVS drug store, Corner Bakery, and a Macy's. That's actually allot more than we expected. And there is growth everywhere.

So what does all this mean? Well it's got me thinking about livability. I had a conversation with someone who shall remain nameless when Dani go this job. I said we were looking forward to the change, and it was a good career move for Dani, etc, etc. And he said, "Ya, but I think there's a huge quality of life difference."

At first I agreed, but it got me thinking; how do you define quality of life? What makes a good place to live? I think it has more to do with how you live than where you live. Interestingly enough, the person I was talking to lives in Parker. Not to dog Parker but.... Well, ya to dog Parker: I mean come on Man: Honestly I can't think of any place that has all the same negatives that Houston has: You have to drive everywhere, houses are huge and cheap, sprawl rules. How is Parker better than Houston? Humidity, altitude? Is that all you got?

And I think of other conversations that I had with friends in the past when they moved. One to Nebraska, the other to Wyoming. And I brought up similar arguments. Is it time to eat my own words? Take back the things I said about those other places? Probably. In the end my bias comes mostly from he fact that I miss them and didn't want them to leave. (so, I'm sorry J&J) But that's unfair. People need to seek their own destinies, and as friends travel across the country, it gives us more places to visit. And more stories to share when we get together in the years down the road.

But it still doesn't answer quality of life. And here comes my revelation: It doesn't exist. You can have a high quality of life, or a low quality of life where ever you are. And the biggest factor is money. Ya, none of us like to admit it, but it does matter. Money allows you to shape the reality of life where you live and that does matter for quality. Don't believe me? Try to live in Breckenridge on $50 a week. The place has great quality of life, right?

The second part is what I don't know. So you have a little disposable income, that doesn't mean you are happy? I don't know. I knew people who never seemed to be happy where ever they were. They transferred schools 3 times; moved to California and came back; failed out of school and joined the Navy. There was some intangible thing that they couldn't quite describe, but the knew they didn't have. So They didn't have quality of life, right? I can't really say that either. I also know people who can never very from a seat on a barstool. The only thing that changes is the world around them and they seem happy as clams. Seems like it's a moving target, and it's very personable.

Good thing I'm here. I came up with a formula. You do things like this when you don't have TV, or furniture, or silverware. Here it is: Take the number of times you smile in a day, divide it by the farthest you can run flat out without wavering. Add the number of people you have on speed dial in your phone (not counting family). Plus the number of hobbies, Times the numbers of inside jokes you know. Take the whole thing to the 3 power and put it over the number of X's in your life (X wife, X boyfriend, X con, etc) What does that give you?

Haven't you been reading this? I have no idea.

Bullet points:

1. Dani and I love good food. Houston has very good food. So far we are happy.
2. I haven't started missing my friends yet. That's going to hit on a Wednesday night in January when I realize I can't just stroll over and see JR. and when I begin to forget what Greg's laugh sounds like.
3. Running here is great. God bless all my high altitude training. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So while stranded in the midwest (oh to my bitter dislike of the midwest after living in the glorious state of Colorado...) I found myself on an Amtrak visiting someone I know an love that recently moved to Iowa of all places. And you know what? To no understanding by me--she's happy there. She's with a man that loves her, and his family has taken her in... And she told me she could only hope of raising a family there. Sure I gagged under my breath--but she's happy. You kind of lost me with all the equations, but somewhere I think I found you at the "it's what you choose to make it" and the best thing in the world is to be loved and be with that/those people.
(But man oh man do we wish you were back here with us. We love and miss you both.)
LK

j-me said...

Thanks for the apology, it was nice, it is true - I find myself giving my friends here a hard time when they discuss moving away from this windy oasis. But it is also because we will miss them and do not want to feel like we are being abandoned - like we left everyone in Colorado. Thank God for e-mail, airplanes, automobiles and blogs!
Lots of love, J&J